Guest Blog by Scott.
Well, we made it to Ireland without a whole lot of trouble. Our flight was delayed about 45 minutes and then we sat in the plane for another hour or so waiting for takeoff, but now we are in Ireland and it is great! The jet lag didn’t seem too bad until Saturday night when we each took our turn bobbing heads and staring blankly off into space on the train.
The highlight of the day on Saturday had to be our dinner at the Roost. They had the best hamburgers ever and I’m not even exaggerating. The pepper sauce was amazing and the burger was just huge. I am sorry to say that Courtney beat me by eating all her burger and most of her fries and I couldn’t even finish all mine 🙁
Random first impressions of our visit to this foreign country:
- Everyone drives on the wrong side of the road
- The cars are so compact, even the vans and trucks
- The American music playing on the radio seemed very strange to me. U2 was the first “Irish” song we heard.
- They call their baby cribs a cot. I thought I was getting a spare bed when I asked for a cot, but boy was I mistaken.
- All their electrical outlets have switches you have to turn on first — weird.
- The reversed date through us for a loop. We thought we were getting a week’s worth of Internet when we saw 4/3/07, not realizinig this meant March 4, 2007.
- Egg is surprisingly good on pizza. I had a traditional Irish pizza with egg, pepper, tomatoes, and ham and it was great!
- They have Quiznos, Subway, McDonalds, and Burger King here in downtown Dublin… and American Idol was on TV.
- Mass here was really short, with no singing at the Parish we went to.
Okay, that is good for now, but stay tuned tomorrow for a recap of our visit to the Cliffs of Moher (famed for their appearance in Princess Bride as the Cliffs of Insanity!)